This Discussion should be an eye opener for most students. We will look at our food shopping trends and how we spend our money. The outcomes should reveal some interesting facts.
- Save a cash register receipt from a shopping trip to the food market or borrow one from a family member or friend. The cost of 4 prepackaged food items that are sold by weight and the cost of at least 3 fruits or vegetables need to appear on the receipt. If you have no access to a receipt with these items, then you will need to go to the store and write down the cost information.
- Fruits and vegetables are sold by the pound. Add up your total cost for the fruits and vegetables and find the average cost per pound. [Example: if bananas are .79 per pound and apples are .59 per pound, the average is calculated like this: (.79 + .59)/2 = 1.38/2 = .69 per pound on average for the two fruits.]
- Locate the weight of your prepackaged food items. [For example, on a box of Frosted Flakes it says 15 oz., thus it is sold by weight not by volume.]
- Add up all of the weights for your prepackaged items and then add up all of the costs for your four prepackaged items.
- From the totals, find the average cost per ounce of prepackaged items. Convert your results to cost per pound; using proportions will help. [Hint: How many ounces in a pound?]
- Now, compare the cost per pound of unprocessed food compared to prepackaged processed food. Amazed?
- Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings. Do the calculations seem reasonable? Based on the posting you authored and the postings you read, do we seem to be paying for the product, convenience or the packaging?
MAT126 Wk2DQ1 Food Shopping
- This tutorial hasn't been purchased yet.
- Posted on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:50:24PM
Preview: ... of weight that we want our answer in so to find the average cost I add them all together and divide by the amount of items added in this case 3. 1.48+.88+.99=3.35 3.35/3= 1.12 Taco Meat 4.99 per 18oz Pizza Rolls 2.89 per 8.2oz Cereal 2.49 per 13oz Kroger Cheese 2.49 per 14oz (I had to round the ...
The full tutorial is about 220 words long .