$20.00 Implementing Quality Concepts
3. Compare and contrast the eight characteristics that constitute overall quality from the customers prospective with the three additional characteristics that constitute service quality from the customers prospective.
5. Describe four types of benchmarking. Use the internet to find a company that has been engaged in benchmarking. Use the internet to find a company that has engaged in benchmarking. Describe the type of benchmarking used and the benefits and costs of the company’s experience.
6. What is TQM? What are four important tenets of TQM, and why are they important?
10. How does strategic cost management link information to corporate strategies?
15. Mark each of the following statements as true or false and explain why the false statements are incorrect.
a. Results benchmarking relies only on comparisons to firms within the same industry.
b. SPC control charts are used to plot the costs of quality over time.
c. The total quality cost is the sum of prevention cost plus failure costs.
d. Total quality management focuses on production processes rather than on customer satisfaction.
e. Traditional accounting systems have separate accounts to capture quality costs.
f. Appraisal cost is used to monitor and correct mistakes.
g. As the number of defective products manufactured rises, internal failure costs also rise but external failure costs are expected to decline.
h. Pareto analysis is used to help managers identify areas in which to focus quality-improvement efforts.
i. Quality is free.
j. Higher quality yields lower profits but higher productivity.
1.What are three costs associated with inventory? Explain each and give examples.
7. What are the primary goals of the JIT philosophy, and how does JIT attempt to achieve these goals?
11. (Appendix) How are ordering costs and carrying costs related?