$25.00 The scatter plot below shows the relationship between the day of a particular month a stock was valued and the priceFound in Mathematics: Statistics
Chapter 1, # 0
1. The scatter plot below shows the relationship between the day of a particular month a stock was valued and the price of the stock in dollars. The horizontal axis represents the day of the month. Use this graph to answer the questions below.
Graph: (x) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(Y) 58 54 48 44 44 32 30 24
(A) How would you describe the relationship between the day of the month this stock was valued and the price of the stock?
(B) Approximately what was the stock price on day 7?
(C) Would the slope of the "line of best fit" be positive or negative?
2. Suppose we want to determine the (binomial) probability (p) of getting 3 heads in 13 flips of a 2-sided coin. Using the Binomial Probabilities Table in Appendix B of the text, what values of n, x and p would we use to look up this probability, and what would be the probability?
3. For the table that follows, answer the following questions:
- Would the correlation between x and y in the table above be positive or negative?
- Find the missing value of y in the table.
- How would the values of this table be interpreted in terms of linear regression?
- If a "line of best fit" is placed among these points plotted on a coordinate system, would the slope of this line be positive or negative?
4. Answer the following:
- If the correlation coefficient is -0.31, what is the sign of the slope of the regression line?
- As the correlation coefficient increases from -0.71 to -0.67, do the points of the scatter plot move toward the regression line, or away from it?
6. Determine whether each of the distributions given below represents a probability distribution. Justify your answer.
x 1 2 3 4
P(x )0.3 1/5 1/5 3/10
x 3 6 8
P(x) 0.2 3/5 3/10
x 20 30 40 50
P(x) 0.1 0.1 0.5 0.3
7. Four cards are selected, one at a time from a standard deck of 52 cards. Let x represent the number of Jacks drawn in a set of 4 cards.
(A) If this experiment is completed without replacement, explain why x is not a binomial random variable.
(B) If this experiment is completed with replacement, explain why x is a binomial random variable.
8. You are given the following data.
Number of Absences Final Grade
- Find the correlation coefficient for the data.
- Find the equation for the regression line for the data, and predict the final grade of a student who misses 3.5 days.
- This tutorial hasn't been purchased yet.
- Posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 10:35:10PM
The scatter plot below shows the relationship between the day of a particular month a stock was valued ($25).doc (78K) (Preview)