1) Write the following as an algebraic expression using x as the variable:
Triple a number subtracted from the number
2) Write the following as an algebraic expression using x as the variable: A
number decreased by 25 and multiplied by 4
3. Write the following as an algebraic expression using x as the variable: The
sum of a number and -8
4) Write the following as an algebraic expression using x as the variable:
Twelve less than six times a number
5) Solve: -3 – (-2 + 4) - 5
6) Solve: (–5)2 · (9 – 17)2 ÷ (–10)2
7) Solve: 3(32) – 8(9 – 2) ÷ 2
8) Solve: (–5)2 · (9 – 17)2 ÷ (–10)2
9) Solve: 3(-19 + 4) ÷ -5
10) Solve: –9 + 18 ÷ –3(–6)
11) Identify the variable, constant, and coefficient of the expression: 10k – 15
12) Identify the variable, constant, and coefficient of the expression: x – y
13) Identify the variable, constant, and coefficient of the expression: 3p
14) Solve the system of equations:
4x + 3y = 1
3x + 2y = 2
15) Solve the system of equations:
3x – 5y = 7
2x + 3y = 30
16) Solve the system of equations:
3x + 2y = 18
y = 3x
17) Solve the system of equations:
3x = 7 – y
2y = 14 – 6x
18) Solve the system of equations:
3x + y = –7
x – y = –5
19) The Manager of Engineering reported that the industrial production index
was 135. What does this production mean?
20) Which of the following is true of a base period for an index number?
21) Which of the following is true of an index?
A. It shows a percent change from one period to another
B. It must be larger than 100
C. It cannot assume negative values
D. It can employ qualitative data
22) A man earned $80,000 when the Consumer Price Index was 200. What
were his earnings in terms of $2,000 if the base period was 2000?
23) What happens as we increase the number of classes in a histogram?
24) On which axis is time plotted on a simple line chart?
25) The monthly incomes for a group of engineers are: $2,200, $2,400,
$2,600, $3,100, $3,400, and $3,700. What are these ungrouped numbers
26) What is the term for a number of observations in a class in a frequency
27) Why are unequal class intervals sometimes used in a frequency
28) What is the slope of the line: 14y – 2x = 28
29) What is the slope of the line: 5y – x = 10
30) What is the slope of the line: 36x – 9y = 15
31) What is the slope of the line: 2y + 8x = 26
32) What is the slope of the line: 3x – y = 6
33) Which statement is true regarding the estimated slope of a linear
34) Which statement is true of a regression line that is superimposed on the
35) Which of the following is observed in a scatter plot when there is an
inverse relationship between x and y?
36) What happens to the future value of money when the inflation rate
exceeds the interest rate?
37) Since money has the ability to earn interest, its value increases with
time. What affects the future value of an investment more, the interest rate
or the time the investment is held?
38) The number of hours spent studying appears to be highly correlated with
the grade students earn in a class. Which variable would be the dependent
variable in a linear regression analysis?
39) When interest is compounded, the total time period is subdivided into
several interest periods, for example 1 year, 3 months, 1 month. How does
compound interest affect the future value of an investment?
40) When the interest rate is positive, what happens to the value of money
as we move from the future to the present?
A. Stays the same
D. Not enough information
41) What is the principal balance if the principal plus interest at the end of
1.5 years is $3,360 at an annual interest rate of 8%?
42) How is the class midpoint calculated?
A. Find the difference between consecutive lower limits.
B. Count the number of observations in the class.
C. Divide the class interval in half and add the result to the lower limit.
D. frequency by the number of observations
43) How is a frequency distribution converted to a relative frequency
A. Find the difference between consecutive lower class limits.
B. Divide the lower limit of the first class by the class interval
C. Multiply the class frequency by 100
D. Divide the class frequency by the total number of observations
44) What does the horizontal axis of a line chart represent?
45) Which measures of central tendency are not affected by extremely low or
extremely high values?
46) For which measure of central tendency will the sum of the deviations
always be zero?
47) Which measure of dispersion represents variation from the mean?
48) Which of the following is true regarding the normal distribution?
49) Which of the following is a characteristic of a normal distribution?
50) What is the proportion of the total area under the normal curve within
plus or minus 2 standard deviations?