$20.00 Determining Causes and Effects
† Assignment 3.1: Determining Causes and Effects Ė Draft Version
†† Due Week 7 and worth 80 points Select one (1) of the following scenarios on which to focus your cause and effect paper. Research the topic and include credible sources to support claims. Identify your purpose clearly, incorporate audience needs, establish a desired tone, and organize information/claims effectively.
- The CEO of a major U.S. automotive manufacturer has asked you (a global marketing manager) to write about the causes and effects of importing most of its materials from foreign manufacturers.† The paper will be provided to the board of directors and stockholders.
- The director of a regional blood bank has asked you (a public relations specialist) to write about the causes and effects of advertising for blood donations in the past 30 years. The paper will be provided to the board of directors as they make decisions about the focus of future campaigns.
- A state representative to the U.S. has asked you (a congressional aide) to write a paper on the causes and effects of water pollution in Lake Huron. The paper will be provided to the stateís fish and game board as well as various committees for improving public health.
Write a 4-5 page paper in which you:
- Provide a clear thesis statement.
- Describe the major cause.
- Describe a leading second cause.
- Describe two (2) other contributing causes.
- Describe three (3) effects of the cause on the economy.
- Describe three (3) effects on people.
- Include two (2) visuals that illustrate two (2) different claims.
- Develop a coherently structured paper with an introduction, body, and conclusion.
- Provide three (3) relevant and credible sources to support claims.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentís name, the professorís name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify elements of visual and electronic resources and their uses in writing.
- Associate the features of audience, purpose, and text with various genres.
- Recognize the elements and correct use of a thesis statement.
- Recognize how to organize ideas with transitional words, phrases, and sentences.
- Incorporate relevant, correctly documented sources to substantiate claims.
- Apply the writing process to develop various writing genres.
- Write clearly and concisely about selected topics using proper writing mechanics.
- Use technology and information resources to research selected issues for this course.