$1.00 YoungAmber - Grammer assignment 6
The following exercises are to be completed in one Word document which you will submit after completing the Study Session 2 Assignment. Please make sure you complete both portions of this lesson's assignment before submitting your work.
Study Session 1 Assignment
- For each sentence below, list every prepositional phrase and write whether each phrase is used as an adjective or an adverb.
a. The man in the airplane screamed wildly.
b. Two small children fell in the creek.
c. Three red tractors by the barn are brand new.
d. His grandfather walks with a limp.
e. We will travel to Chicago after the game.
f. The trees around the house are all hemlock.
g. Children from Ireland sat beside the sculpture.
h. The couple with three children strolled down the lane.
i. Fish below the falls swim past the bridge.
j. Come to the party if you can dance after midnight.
- Write a sentence that contains the items called for in each of the following:
a. a prepositional phrase used as an adjective and a coordinating conjunction
b. a coordinating conjunction and a prepositional phrase used as an adverb
c. a pair of correlative conjunctions and a coordinating conjunction
d. a prepositional phrase used as an adjective, a prepositional phrase used as an adverb, and a coordinating conjunction
e. a prepositional phrase used as an adjective, a prepositional phrase used as an adverb, and a pair of correlative conjunctions
- Compose a 150-word account of a dangerous journey in which you feature prepositional phrases used both as adjectives and adverbs. Underline each prepositional phrase in your paragraph and indicate in parentheses immediately following each phrase whether the phrase is used as an adjective or adverb.
Study Session 2 Assignment
- For each sentence below, write every verb phrase and prepositional phrase you recognize. For each prepositional phrase write whether the phrase functions as an adjective or adverb, naming in parentheses the word that the phrase modifies.
a. On Tuesdays we will deliver meals to the neighbors.
b. By next week, we will have arrived at our destination in the mountains.
c. The professor has covered all of the material in the course.
d. In the Midwest, the candidates are campaigning for the votes of the electorate.
e. The girl from Montana had spent all of her money on new clothes.
- For each sentence below, write every verbal phrase you recognize. In parentheses, name the type of verbal phrase you have written and whether the phrase is used as a noun, adjective, or adverb.
a. Reading the newspaper, Marcia tried to learn about politics.
b. Cluttered with debris, the house was quickly starting to depreciate.
c. The Thomases are very fond of training horses.
d. Covered in mud, the children tried to explain why they were leaving home.
e. To complete the mission, the soldiers, practicing all they had learned, started to march along the river.
- For each of the following, write a sentence that contains the item(s) called for:
a. a gerund phrase
b. a participial phrase
c. an infinitive phrase
d. an appositive phrase
e. a verbal phrase
f. a prepositional phrase used as an adjective and an infinitive phrase
g. a gerund phrase and an appositive phrase
h. a participial phrase, an infinitive phrase, and a verb phrase
i. a prepositional phrase used as an adverb and an appositive phrase
j. a gerund phrase, a prepositional phrase used as an adjective, a prepositional phrase used as an adverb, and a verb phrase