Assignment #4: Case Problem “Stateline Shipping and Transport Company”
Read the “Stateline Shipping and Transport Company” Case Problem on pages 273-274 of the text. Analyze this case, as follows:
1. In Excel, or other suitable program, develop a model for shipping the waste directly from the 6 plants to the 3 waste disposal sites.
2. Solve the model you developed in #1 (above) and clearly describe the results.
3. In Excel, or other suitable program, Develop a transshipment model in which each of the plants and disposal sites can be used as intermediate points.
4. Solve the model you developed in #3 (above) and clearly describe the results.
5. Interpret the results and draw conclusions that address the question posed in the case problem. What are the limits of the study? Write at least one paragraph.
There are two deliverables for this Case Problem, 1)the Excel spreadsheet, with the different solutions given in separate worksheets, and 2) an accompanying written description/explanation (submitted as a Word document). Please submit both of them electronically via the dropbox.
CASE PROBLEM S9.1
Stateline Shipping and Transport Company
Rachel Sundusky is the manager of the South-Atlantic office of the Stateline Shipping and Transport Company. She is in the process of negotiating a new shipping contract with Polychem, a company that manufactures chemicals for industrial use. Polychem wants Stateline to pick up and transport waste products from its six plants to four waste disposal sites. Rachel is very concerned about this proposed arrangement. The chemical wastes that will be hauled can be hazardous to humans and the environment if they leak. In addition, a number of towns and communities in the region where the plants are located prohibit hazardous materials from being shipped through their municipal limits. Thus, not only will the shipments have to be handled carefully and transported at reduced speeds, they will also have to traverse circuitous routes in many cases.
- This tutorial was purchased 26 times and rated A+ by students like you.
- Posted on Mar 08, 2011 at 12:56:49PM
Stateline Shipping and Transport Company11.doc (112K) (Preview)
Satelite shipping11.xls (35K)